Tuesday 8 April 2008

90. Johann Sebastian Bach - Keyboard Partitas (1726-31)
















Recording

Title: Six Partitas
Performer: Gustav Leonhardt
Year: 1986
Length: 1 hour 39 minutes

Review

The harpsichord has always been a slightly boring instrument to me. Nothing like the organ, mind you, but still quite dull. The fact that these partitas did not bore me immensely is a good sign, but I am more than ready for the invention of the piano, thank you very much.

Although the partitas did not bore me, they were not particularly exciting as well. This is still not the Harpsichord album with a capacity to beat Rameau, I am terribly sorry.

I love Bach, I really do, but I like him best doing his orchestral and choral stuff, or even violin stuff, that is where he shines the most. This is not to say that his Harpsichord compositions are not of an extremely high calibre, they are. But if I had to put a Bach recording on, this would not be it.

Final Grade


8/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

The Partitas, BWV 825–830, are a set of six harpsichord suites written by Johann Sebastian Bach, published from 1726 to 1730 as Clavier-übung I, and the first of his works to be published. They were the last of his keyboard suites to be composed, the others being the 6 English Suites, BWV 806-811 and the 6 French Suites, BWV 812-817.

Allemande from the first partita on a vibraphone, fuck harpsichords:

No comments: